TOP TEN FERTILITY FALLACIES
- 1:- You can have a baby easily until you’re at least forty-five.
- 2 :- Menopause happens to women in their fifties.
- 3 :- If you are young at heart, so is your body.
- 4 :- If _____________(fill in the blank with your favorite post-forty pregnant celeb) can do it, so can I.
- 5 :- Once I stop using birth control and have unprotected sex, I ‘ll get pregnant right away.
- 6 :- If I eat right, exercise regularly, and don’t smoke, my body will be able to carry a baby whenever I am ready.
- 7 :- It’s no big deal if I can’t get pregnant. My doctor can always get me there.
- 8 :- You can never be too thin.
- 9 :- Nobody I know would ever use donor eggs!
- 10 :- When I want to get pregnant, it will just happen.
PRECONCEPTION DON’T JUST CONCIEVE , PRE CONCIEVE
Introduction: “ If only I knew then what I know now I ‘d have taken better care of myself before I got pregnant .”
“To say that having a baby is one of life’s richest, most rewarding experiences is a cliché that is nevertheless true. There is just nothing else quite like bringing new life into the world –the waiting, the wonder, the magic of creating enduring bonds of intimacy and sharing love ….. for such an overwhelmingly important area of our lives pregnancy, across the board, is stumbled and bumbled into…..There is, thankfully, a much better, safer, saner way to go to about this.”
Preconception care is not directed at prospective patients expecting a baby, but at prospective patients wishing to become pregnant. The time that one could become pregnant easily, pleasantly and happily is over. All that currently matters is getting a healthy baby.
Preconception care for both parents can ensure healthy sperms and eggs, and a nurturing environment to enable the best possible outcome for conception and pregnancy. Both female and male fertility problems can also be treated.
Preconception care encompasses health promotion, risk identification and preventative measures to promote the health of the expectant mother and her child.
Preconception care has been found to more than double the chances of success with IVF. Preconception care helps to avoid the increased miscarriage and health risks to mother and infant that may occur when Assisted Reproduction Technology is used.
The preconception care is considered to be the ultimate “health insurance” – taking action now that enables the couple to maximize both their own as well as their child’s future health and well-being!!!
WHY IT IS NEEDED
Most birth defects which are preventable , occurs b/w 17 -56 day after conception – offend before the woman become aware that she is pregnant so preconception prepares the woman’s body so the baby can thrive in early weeks of development .
It also includes preparation of partners mentally as well as financially for the baby.
Conceiving more easily.
Conceiving a healthy baby .
Having a healthier pregnancy .
Easy recovery in post partum period .
Reduced risk of some adult health problems of your child .
- AGE : > 35 yrs
- WEIGHT : Obese –PCOD
- When your menstrual cycle does not follow rules
- Vaginal infections
- Any genetic disorder –Thalassemia
- BP/ sugar
- Dental hygiene – Many dental procedures are
- avoided in pregnancy
- Pre existing medical condition – epilepsy, T.B
- Maternal Health Factors
Getting in shape before you conceive
- Reduced stress
- Better management of pre – pregnancy weight
- Control over weight gain during pregnancy
- Decrease in backaches
- Improved circulation
- Alleviates swelling, varicose veins, and hemorrhoids
- Decreased constipation
- More overall energy and stamina
- Enhanced sleep
- Reduction in risk of premature delivery
- Stronger bone density
WHAT NOT TO TAKE
- MAKE YOUR BODY A SAFE & HEALTHY PLACE FOR YOUR BABY TO THRIVE .
- Alcohol: Chronic alcoholics do have reduced sperm quality.
- Caffeine: if you are taking more than 100 mg caffeine per day, reduce your intake gradually.
- SMOKING – If you are a nonsmoker, secondhand smoke is linked to lower birth weight. Carbon monoxide & Nicotine impinges on female fertility by constricting blood vessels and reducing blood flow to the ovaries, because an increase in blood pressure & poor weight gain.
- Work Stress
- Sexual Life
MEN ALSO MATTER
- To wear loose fitting boxer shorts and trousers.
- To avoid hot baths and take showers instead.
- To cut down smoking and alcohol drinking or stop altogether .
- To loose weight if one is over is overweight.
- To avoid exposure to chemicals and radiation etc .
- Seizure medications
- Anti – depressant / anxiety medications
- Especially recommended
- Hepatitis B
- Lifestyle recommendation before Pregnancy
- Eating a well balanced diet .
- Maintaining a healthy weight .
- Avoiding tobacco ,alcohol ,drugs and caffeine.
- Ensuring rest and good night ‘s sleep .
- Participating in a regular physical activity .
- Yoga and Meditation .
- Walking everyday for 30 mints with the partner is not only good for health but also reduces the stress on mother. It helps in financial planning and mental preparation for being parents.
- V – Vitamins and minerals
- I – Immunize
- T – Test
- A – Ask about genetic and obstetric history and spousal abuse
- L – Lose cigarettes, alcohol and recreational drugs
- M – Medical conditions and medications
- O – Occupational exposures
- M – Modify: diet, exercise, stress, employment, caffeine intake